Thursday, October 9, 2008

A fun read


There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens, and Big Trouble by Laurie Notaro

I read this book because I had stumbled upon a few others of her books while I was looking at Borders a few weeks ago. I was trying to figure out what I was going to use my teacher discount on, but I wanted to read some of her work before I actually purchased anything. I went to the library, and the only book on the shelf was this one. It looked intriguing, so I thought I'd check it out. It's hilarious! There are some sad times in the story too, but honestly, I was laughing throughout almost the entire book.

A brief synopsis: Maye finds herself moving from a big city like Phoenix to a small town called Spaulding. Everything in Spaulding is different-it's environmentally friendly, and she doesn't know anyone but her husband. She tries to make friends by joining her neighbor for tea, only to realize that she's one of the few who isn't on a motorized scooter. She then tries to join a Gothic book club, and the results of that are hilarious. She ends up deciding to try to run for Queen of Spaulding, or Sewer Pipe Queen. What ensues is a sweet tale of friendship, with quite a bit of humor mixed in.

Laurie really draws the reader in in this story. It wasn't long before I wanted to know what Maye was going to do next, and if she was going to embarrass herself at her husband's company party again. I would exactly classify this book as 'chick lit' because no one falls in love with someone that you don't expect them too. This book is definitely a work of fiction, and from what I've read, Notaro usually does non-fiction. I think she did a pretty decent job in switching over. But then, I'm not an expert, just a typical person reading a book off the shelf. I definitely look forward to adding Notaro to my list of authors to purchase when I get to use my discount again!

No comments: