Friday, September 19, 2008

The Gatecrasher

I am a big fan of the books written by this author's pen name Sophie Kinsella. I really enjoy the humor in her books! I've also come to enjoy reading books by Madeleine Wickham, although their topics tend to be a bit more 'serious'.

The book starts out with Fleur, a single mom, trying on a bunch of hats and only wanting to order them in black. It turns out she's a gatecrasher-but not of the wedding kind. She crashes funerals and memorial services, but only for those whom she believes will pro...more I am a big fan of the books written by this author's pen name Sophie Kinsella. I really enjoy the humor in her books! I've also come to enjoy reading books by Madeleine Wickham, although their topics tend to be a bit more 'serious'.

The book starts out with Fleur, a single mom, trying on a bunch of hats and only wanting to order them in black. It turns out she's a gatecrasher-but not of the wedding kind. She crashes funerals and memorial services, but only for those whom she believes will provide her with a wealthy widower.

She attends the memorial service for Emily Favour and meets Richard. She quickly gets to work and the next thing she knows she's been invited to lunch with him. Soon they are almost inseparable, and Fleur cannot really deny enjoying it. Richard is quickly in love and enjoys the newness in Fleur. They go to his second home in the country (in a gated community, of course) and she quickly befriends Emily's sister, as well as the children of Richard and Emily.

Trouble brews when Zara, Fleur's daughter, shows up. She could possibly bring Fleur's happiness to an end by unveiling Fleur's secret. Will the happiness end and Fleur have to find another widower to "fall in love" with??

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. It read quickly, as the other books by Wickham/Kinsella have. I did, however, have a problem with the ending. I felt as though Madeleine was suddenly rushed to get the book to press and just quickly ended the story. There seemed to be so many balls just left in the air and nothing to catch them. Because of the final chapter, my entire opinion of the book changed.

Overall, the book was fine, and I would recommend it to others, with the warning that the ending is a bit disappointing. I'd hate for others to be just as disappointed as I was.

1 comment:

Julie P. said...

You won The Safety of Secrets from Booking Mama. Please send me your mailing address:
bookingmama(at)comcast(dot)net